Dear member of the University of Ibadan Community
This is another season of celebration to mark the end of 30 days of fasting and supplications at a time of serious global challenges.
For many Muslims, Eid al-Fitr begins with communal prayers. This year, communal prayers come with a difference. Yet, the Eid celebration at the end of Ramadan is a joyful time!
As a resilient institution, the University of Ibadan continues to directly and indirectly support efforts at containing COVID-19 pandemic. Members of the community continue to offer services at different levels by making their expertise and time available. We continue to observe all the recommended safety protocols by the World Health Organisation (WHO). Through the Campus Community Radio, website, social media and all available avenues, quality time has been dedicated to enlightenment programmes for the benefits of the people. The University has also extended her corporate social responsibilities by giving gifts to those who called in to the radio station and won prizes; and distribution of masks to immediate communities.
We cannot afford to be defeated by COVID-19. It is in our hands as a knowledge institution to quickly defeat the pandemic. In the spirit of the Ramadan, we are all enjoined to continue to take all the positives from the disruption caused by the lockdown to:
· Exercise Self Control - we should continue to avoid unnecessary trips and gatherings. Do all in moderation even as you celebrate today and tomorrow.
· Use our free time for self-development. We should also review our old To Do List. Identify some of those we could not touch them. As we defeat COVID-19, let us defeat procrastination too.
· Develop and maintain deeper relationship with God, Family, Colleagues and Friends. We all need one another. These times are making us see how inter-dependent we are.
· Empathise with others. Let us be more charitable and generous continuing in the spirit of zakat - one of the five pillars of Islam.
· Remain safe. Observe all public health and safety protocols. Preach it to others. It is a task we must not neglect.
This is certainly a special day of celebration.
University of Ibadan
Saturday, 23rd May 2020