A Brief History of the University
The University of Ibadan started off as the University College, Ibadan (UCI) which was founded in 1948, occupying, at first, the old site at Eleyele. It later moved to the new site which covered over 2,550 acres of land. The site was generously leased by the chiefs and people of Ibadan for 999 years. The establishment of the University could be traced directly to the reports in 1945 of the Asquith and Elliot Commissions which were set up by the British Government in 1943. Equipment was transferred to the university from its sub-university status forerunners, the Yaba Higher College, (established in 1932 but formally opened in 1934), and the Yaba Medical School (established in 1930). There were 104 foundation students (including 49 students in teacher training and survey courses) who began their courses at Ibadan on 18 January 1948. The formal opening took place on 25 March, 1948.
In February 1948, London University allowed Ibadan its special relationship scheme. Arthur Creech Jones, then Secretary of State for the Colonies, and an influential member of Elliot Commission, cut the first sod at the permanent site of the University College on 17 November, 1948, which thereafter became the Foundation Day.
For the foundation medical students, the facilities provided in 1948 by the Native Administration Hospital at Adeoyo and the Government Hospital Jericho, for which the Faculty of Medicine was responsible, were inadequate. Consequently, medical students of the earlier years went to London University for clinical training. To provide more satisfactory clinical facilities at Ibadan, the Nigerian Government made available funds for the building of the 500-bed University Teaching Hospital which was completed in 1957. Thereafter, medical students were fully trained in Ibadan, the first batch graduating in 1960.
With the expansion of facilities at Ibadan, the number of students offered admission increased. In the 1958-59 sessions, UCI for the first time had a little over 1,000 students; in 1963-64, the figure exceeded 2,000; and topped the 3,000 mark in 1968-69.
The figure for 1972-73 was 4,110 and, for 1974-75 and 1975-76, 5,369 and 7,375 respectively. Some of these students included those residents at the Jos Campus, which began with an enrolment of 101 students in the 1971-72 sessions. In the 1973-74 session, the Jos Campus had 326 students most of whom were prepared for courses in the Faculty of Arts. In the 1975-76 sessions, the number of students at Jos increased to 550. On 25 September, 1975, however, the Government announced the creation of a University of Jos, and arrangements were made to transfer second year students in Jos to Ibadan and to hand over the campus at the end of the 1975-76 session to the new administration at Jos University. The Government also announced the setting up of a new University College at Ilorin, to be affiliated to the University of Ibadan. In 1976-77, the total number of students at the University of Ibadan was 8,586. In the 1984/85 session, the student population was 13,862.
Since the 1989/90 session, student population has increased to 14,000 in accordance with the directive of the National Universities Commission (NUC) of ten percent (10%) growth for the first generation universities in Nigeria. As at the end of the 1992/93 session, the student population was 14,632. In addition, there were over three thousand five hundred (3, 500) external degree students who receive lectures, tutorials on a part-time basis. Moreover, the University’s Institute of Education runs an Associate Certificate of Education programme for Grade Two Teachers at different centres in Nigeria.
The University of Ibadan, then University College, awarded its first postgraduate degree in 1952, when the University was under a “scheme of special relation” with the University of London. By 1962, when University College transformed into an independent University of Ibadan, 64 students were registered for graduate degrees. Since becoming an independent academic institution in 1962, the University of Ibadan has enrolled 81,768 postgraduate students and awarded 45,709 higher degrees, including 2 DSc. 4,366 PhDs, 36 MD/MS, 4,700 Mphil/Professional Master’s Degrees, 32,3254 Academic Master’s Degree, and 4,281 Postgraduate Diplomas. During the last academic year alone, 5,789 students were enrolled into a postgraduate programme. Over the years, University of Ibadan graduates have meaningfully contributed to society in many ways from establishing other institutions of higher learning in Nigeria to impacting various sectors of the global economy. Several alumni have also returned to the University of Ibadan as professors and staff.
Larger admissions over the years and limited funds for providing accommodation facilities gradually threatened the concept of a residential University at Ibadan. The Jos campus, when established, experimented with off-campus accommodation. From the 1972-73 sessions, students, at the Ibadan campus have also been allowed to live off-campus in large numbers. Married students are encouraged to live off-campus.
There are ten undergraduate Halls of Residence (Mellanby, Tedder, Kuti, Sultan Bello, Queen Elizabeth II, Alexander Brown (situated at UCH), Independence, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Idia, Obafemi Awolowo) and two postgraduate Halls of Residence, namely, Tafawa Balewa and the New Postgraduate Hall. It should be noted that Obafemi Awolowo Hall that, hitherto, provided accommodation for both undergraduate and postgraduate students of both sexes became an exclusively undergraduate Hall of Residence (for both sexes) from the 2001/2002 session.
Until 1972, each Hall of Residence had its own catering facilities, but steps were taken during that year towards providing a more centralized catering service. The Central Cafeteria, with a capacity for 1,600 students, was completed on 4 January, 1976 and catered for the majority of students. Because of the larger number of students, however, catering services continued to be provided by selected caterers in Independence, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Queen Elizabeth, Tafawa Balewa and Alexander
Brown Halls. Official catering for students ceased in 1984, in consonance with the Federal Government directive to Federal Universities to disengage from Hall catering services for students. However, in the 2001/2002 session, the University Administration decided to appoint two Catering Contractors for each Hall of Residence. Food is sold to students on the pay-as-you-eat system.
From its inception, the University has encouraged Student Unionism and the Student Union has thus been an important feature of the University existence. Housed in a magnificent complex known as Student Union Building, which now includes the modified Central Cafeteria as well as an Olympic-sized swimming pool, the Union has as its aims:
(a) To promote the social, cultural, intellectual and sporting activities of its members;
(b) To foster the general interests of its members;
(c) To contact, co-operate and exchange ideas with other external organizations whose aims are acceptable to the Union.
The Student Union has been an advocate of student participation in University administration, and since 1973, students have served on various University Committees, including the Consultative Committee on Community Development, Student Welfare Board, Careers Board, Library Committee, Catering Board, Sports Council, Lodgings Bureau, Intra-campus Transportation Committee (ICTC), and the Student Disciplinary Committee. In addition, all academic departments have staff/student liaison committees.
The University provides accommodation for its senior, intermediate and junior staff. The Abadina complex caters for the residential needs of Junior Staff. As at May 1977, there were 516 housing units on campus. There are also the University Hotels Ltd, the Pro-Chancellor’s Lodge and other buildings. The University no longer provides off-campus accommodation for Senior Staff because the accommodation and maintenance problems of the University increased as the number of junior and senior staff rose.
In 1959, there were about 530 junior staff. In February 1973, the number had risen to 4,197. In 1958, there were only 44 Nigerian Senior Staff (Academic, Library, Administrative and Technical) officers, as against
136 expatriates. But by 1 February 1973, the University had 117 Senior Administrative and Technical Officers, Technicians/Technologists as well as school teachers in the International School (Secondary) and Staff School (Kindergarten and Primary). These did not include a total of 566 academic staff of which 416 were Nigerians and 150 expatriates.
By March 1, 1997, the University had a total of 793 academic staff (including the Library and the Ibadan University Press) as against an establishment of 1,066 for the 1976/77 session. At the same time, the University had a total of 819 administrative professional and technical staff although the established figure for the 1976-77 session was 1,079. In the 1984/85 session, the total number of Junior staff on the pay roll of the University was 4,006, while that of Senior Staff was 2,348. Of these, 95 percent were Nigerians. At present staff population is 2,604 academic staff, 953 Senior staff 1651and Junior Staff 1080. The University of Ibadan Women Society runs the Crèche Nursery School while the Baptist Service Centre operates a primary school.
Funds, Funding and Sources
The University is a cosmopolitan tertiary institution with most of the staff being Nigerians. Staff salaries and other recurrent expenditure, besides capital works, made the University College (later University of Ibadan) an expensive establishment to run. While the British Government, the Cocoa Marketing Board, the Nuffield Foundation, the United African Company, and other interested bodies inside and outside Nigeria made generous contributions towards the funding of capital projects, the brunt of the recurrent expenditure fell on the Nigerian government whose subvention rose from N200, 000 British pounds in 1949-1950 to N7, 464,000 in 1971/72. The Federal Government’s recurrent grant for 1972/73 was N=10, 226.00 and for 1973/74, N11, 036,000. The figure for the 1975/76 session (Ibadan and Jos Campuses) was N=23, 171,000, and for the 1976/77 session, N=29, 826.000; for 1983/84 N=41, 221,000. See the table at the next page for subsequent funding:
YEAR N= .
With inadequate public response to its appeal for an Endowment Fund in the 1950s, the University College relied heavily on government financial aid. From 1952, the government set its financial relation with the University College on a quinquennial basis. National crisis in the 1960s disturbed each quinquennial arrangement in favour of ad-hoc grants. Financial grants also came from notable donour agencies, like, Nuffield which donated the Arts Theatre, Ford Foundations, and Rockefeller both of which contributed N7, 717,592 to Ibadan’s development in the 1962-67 quinquennium. In 1976-77, the contribution from the Ford Foundation was $15,664,16. Such outside grants have, in many ways assisted the academic development of the University, particularly in postgraduate studies and staff (manpower) development.
In the past few years, both local and outside grants have dwindled to only $3,277, 894, in 1983/84 and $2,903, 520 in 1984/85 session. During the 2000/2001 session, the Mac Arthur Foundation approved a grant of $100,000 (One hundred Thousand US dollars) to the University of Ibadan to develop a strategic plan to implement a campus wide computer-based information technology system. For the subsequent years the table below indicates the Foundation’s funding:
Year Grant Beneficiary $ .
2002-2004 Mac-Arthur University of Ibadan 3,000,000.00
2005-2007 Mac-Arthur University of Ibadan 3,400,000.00
2008-2010 Mac-Arthur University of Ibadan 4,000,000.00
2007-2009 Mac-Arthur Faculty of SocialScience, U.I. 200,000.00
2007-2009 Mac-Arthur Faculty of Law, U.I. 250,000.00
The University College in 1948 had three founding faculties (Arts, Science and Medicine). Today, there are 13 faculties: Arts, Science, Agriculture and Forestry, the Social Sciences, Education, Veterinary Medicine, Technology, Basic Medical Sciences, Pharmacy, Clinical Sciences, Law, Public Health and Dentistry.
The academic wings of the University include the Library, the Institute of Child Health, the Computing Centre, the University Press, the Industrial Training Co-ordination Centre, the Institute of Education, the African Regional Centre for Information Science, the Women’s Research and Documentation Centre, the Ibarapa Community Health Project and the Behavioural Sciences Research Unit, which gave birth to the present Departments of Psychology and Guidance & Counselling. The Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research (NISER), financed by the Federal Government, maintains a special link with this University.
The former Academic Board set up under the University College Ordinance (No. 25 of 1948) gave way to the Senate under a new law in 1954. Under that Ordinance (No. 10 of 1954), a recognized Council was also established. The membership of Council changes periodically. With academic independence, the University had a new Act in 1962, which, with subsequent amendments in 1972 and 1976, has remained the basic Constitution of the University. The Constitution also provides for Congregation, Convocation and such officers as the Visitor, Chancellor, Pro-Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor, Registrar, Bursar and Librarian.
Though financially dependent upon Government and other organisations, and though constitutionally tied to the Federal Government through the President who is also the Visitor, the University, from its colonial origin, has been trying to safeguard its autonomy in teaching, learning and research. The special relationship scheme with London University did not prevent the College from adapting its syllabuses to suit local needs wherever possible. Several changes were in fact made in the degree structure as the need arose. Although the College began with general and honours special degree courses in selected disciplines, these were re-examined from 1962 when the College gained its academic independence. From 1963, general degree courses gave way to honours special degrees. To introduce a greater element of flexibility into the teaching and examination programmes, the Faculty of Science began in 1969, the Course System which, with the exception of the Faculty of Medicine, was generally applied in the 1972-73 session. After the initial operational problems, especially in such areas as decentralised control and the need for increased staffing to tackle a variety of academic and administrative duties, the Course System has now become fully established in most faculties.
The first set of students in the Faculty of Science trained under the Course System graduated in June 1972. In its teaching, postgraduate and research programmes, the University has adequately met the challenges posed by the changing times and changing national priorities. Far from being encased in a colonial cocoon, the University boldly ventured into new fields such as the Jos Campus scheme and the establishment in 1970 of the Institute of Applied Science and Technology now the Faculty of Technology. Above all, the University has continued to maintain a high standard of scholarship in its various academic disciplines.
Despite changing political and constitutional arrangements, the independent University of Ibadan has been generally fortunate in its leadership.
The Visitor to the University has always been the Nigerian Head of State. The University of Ibadan has had the following Visitors since it became independent.
· The late Rt. Hon. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, M.A. (Linc.) M.Sc. (Penn.), Hon. LL.D. (Linn.). Hon. D. Litt. (Nig) (1960-1966); Major-General Yakubu Gowon (1966-1975);
· Two other Heads of State, the late Major–General J.T.U. Aguiyi-Ironsi (Jan.-July 1966), and the late Brigadier General Murtala Muhammed July 1975–Feb. 1976) each had very short tenure as military Head of State, as such the brief tenure did not afford them the opportunity of relating to the University as Visitors);
· Lieutenant-General Olusegun Obasanjo (1976-1979);
· In 1979, with the advent of the civilian administration, President Alhaji Shehu Aliyu Shagari [1979-1983] succeeded General Olusegun Obasanjo as Visitor to the University;
· Major-General Muhammadu Buhari CFR (Dec. 1983-August 1985), as the Head of the Federal Military Government, became the Visitor to the University;
· General Ibrahim Babangida, CFR, fss, mni, who assumed the title of President, became the Visitor to the University on 26 August, 1985, through a military coup. In August 1993, he stepped aside and handed over to Chief Ernest A. Shonekan;
· Chief Ernest A. Shonekan was appointed as the Head of the Interim National Government from August–November 1993, and as such he became a titular Visitor to the University for the brief tenure;
· The late General Sani Abacha, GCON was Visitor from 1993-1998;
· General Abdusalam Abukakar, as military Head of State became the Visitor to the University [1997-1999];
· Chief Olusegun Obasanjo GCFR returned as the University Visitor from 1999-2007 the second time. This time, as a civilian President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,
· Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar-Adua GCFR, the current Visitor is the President, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Nigeria [2007- ]
· The University of Ibadan’s first Chancellor (1963-1966) was the late Alhaji, the Rt. Hon. Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, P.C., K.B.E., first and only Prime Minister of Nigeria. He died in the first military coup of January, 1966;
· The late Sir Kashim Ibrahim, GCON, K.C.M.C., C.B.E., Hon LL.D. (Ibadan), (1967-1975) succeeded Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa. Late Sir Ibrahim was one of the most respected public figures in Nigeria. He later served as Chancellor of the University of Lagos in 1975;
· On 24 April 1976 when he was inducted as Chancellor of the University of Ibadan., His Royal Highness, the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero, CFR Hon. LL.D. (Nigeria), Hon. LL.D. (Ibadan), served in capacity till 1984;
· On I September, 1984, His Royal Highness, the Oba of Benin, Omo N’oba N’edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Erediauwa, CFR, B.A. (Cantab), Hon. LL.D. (Ibadan), Hon. LL.D. Zaria), was inducted as Chancellor on 17 November 1984. He held office till 1994;
· His Royal Highness the late Orchivirigh Alfred Akawe Torkula, Tor Tiv, IV, took over as Chancellor from the Oba of Benin in March 1994 and served till mid-November, 2001‘;
· On 17 November, 2001, His Royal Highness Alhaji Ado Bayero, C.F.R., Hon. LL.D. (Nigeria) was inducted for the second time as, and now, is, the incumbent Chancellor of the University.
All these men have served the University of Ibadan with great devotion, distinction and commitment and brought great dignity to the University’s annual Foundation Day Ceremonies. In moments of crisis, the University has profited immensely from their wealth of experience and the high regard in which the public and those at the helm of affairs hold them.
Pro-Chancellors/Chairmen of Council.
The University has also benefited greatly from the services of high calibre men who as Pro-Chancellors and/or Chairmen have led its Governing Council.
Between 1948 and1967, there were five Chairmen of Council:
· Professor Kenneth Mellanby CBE, Sc.D (1948-1951)
· Sir Sydney Phillipson KBE, CMG, M.A. (Manc.) (1951-1958);
· Sir Francis Akanu Ibiam CMG, MB (1958–1961)
· Dr. Okechukwu. Ikejiani, B.Sc., (New Bruns.) M.Sc. (Chic.), M.D. (Toronto), L.M.S. (Nova Scotia), Sc.D. (Lincoln) (1961-1965)
· Sir Louis Mbanefo, M.A. (Cantab), LL.D (Lond.) (1965-1967).
Thereafter, the post of Pro-Chancellor and that of Chairman of Council were syncronised by the Federal Government, presumably, for ease of administration . Special mention needs to be made of the late Sir Sydney Phillipson who guided the affairs of Council for seven years during the pioneering years and the late Sir Samuel Manuwa who for nearly a decade served Ibadan with dedication. Alhaji Abdurrahaman Okene was Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council during a period of economic recession. He and his team on the Council faced the challenge of seeking new ways of sourcing for funds for the University for its ever increasing demands, as well as ensuring prudence and greater efficiency in the husbandry of available funds.
The following have held the combined offices:
· Chief the Hon. Sir Samuel Manuwa, CMG, CBE, C.St.J., F.R.S. (Edin), M.D. (Edin.), F.R.C.S., F.R.C.P., F.A.C.S., F.A.C.P., F.I.C.S., D.T.M.&H. (Liv.), Hon. LL.D. (Edin), Hon. D.Sc. (Nig.), Hon. D.Sc. (Ibadan), Hon. D.Litt. (Ife), F.R.S.A. (1967-1975);
· Alhaji Abdurrahaman Okene. (1975-81).
· Dr. Christopher G. O. Okojie, OFR, L.S.M. (Nig.), F.I.C.S. F.M.C.G.P (Nig.), a well-known Medical Practitioner, was Pro-Chancellor/Chairman of Council from August 1981 to Dec. 1983.
· Dr. S.J. Cookey, OON, a renowned educationist held the post from August 1984 until 1985 when he was re-assigned, in the same capacity, to the University of Benin.
· Professor Tijani M. Yesufu, B.A., B.Sc. (Econs), Ph.D. (Lond), an eminent scholar and distinguished administrator who previously served as Vice-Chancellor of the University of Benin, and then Pro-Chancellor, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, was appointed Pro-Chancellor/Chairman of Council of the University of Ibadan from 1985-1986.
· Alhaji (Dr.) Liman Ciroma CFR, Hon. LL.D. became the Pro-Chancellor/Chairman of Council from 1986-1992.
· Prof. Iya Abukakar, Ph.D (Cantab), F.A.S., Hon. D.Sc. (Ife), Hon. D.Sc. (ABU), FNAS (Nig. & NY), FRAS (UK) FIMA (UK) an alumnus and distinguished scholar, former Vice-Chancellor, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, and one time Minister of Defence and Minister of Internal Affairs became the Pro-Chancellor/Chairman of Council on 8 October, 1993.
· Mr. Felix O.A. Ohiwerei OFR, B.A. (Ibadan) Ridder In de orde Van Oranje-nassau, a distinguished alumnus, former Managing Director, Nigerian Breweries and Chairman, Unilever Nigeria Plc., was appointed Pro-Chancellor/Council Chairman on 8 May, 2000 till March, 2004.
· Mr. Gamaliel Onosode, OFR, (D.Litt.) another distin-guished alumnus, former Chairman, NAL, former Managing Director, Dunlop the immediate past Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council succeeded Mr. Ohiwerei in 2005 till November, 2007.
· Chief WOle Olanipekun, SAN is the current Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council with effect from February, 2009
University College, Ibadan had three non-Nigerian Principals, they were:
· Professor Kenneth Mellanby 1948-1953
· Mr. J.T. Saunders 1953-1956
· Dr. J.H. Parry 1956-1960
Professor K. Onwuka Dike, M.A., Ph.D. (Lond.), was Ibadan’s first Nigerian Principal and Vice-Chancellor from 1960 to 1967. Ibadan owes a great deal to the vision of its first Nigerian academic Head. Of particular importance was his commitment and contribution to the establishment of the Post-graduate School at Ibadan. When Professor Dike resigned in 1967 as a consequence of the Nigerian Civil War, he was succeeded by the late Professor T. Adeoye, Lambo, CBE, J.P. M.D., F.R.C.P. (Edin.) D.P.M., Hon. D.Sc. (ABU), Hon. LL.D. (Kent State Univ.), a world renowned psychiatrist who served as Vice-Chancellor until 1971. During a brief interlude, the late Professor G. M. Edington, FRCPath, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Professor of Pathology in the Medical School, acted as Vice-Chancellor, before the late Professor Horatio Oritsejolomi Thomas, C.B.E., C.O.N., M.B., F.R.C.S., one of Nigeria’s most distinguished surgeons was appointed Vice-Chancellor in 1972.
Professor H.O. Thomas was succeeded in December 1975 by Professor Tekena N. Tamuno, B.A. Ph.D. (Lond.), D. Litt of the D.epartment of History. Professor Tamuno was the first alumnus of Ibadan to occupy the post of Vice-Chancellor. He served in this capacity until 30 November 1979. when the late Professor Samuel O. Olayide, B.Sc (Lond.) M.Sc., Ph.D. (Calif.) of the Department of Agricultural Economics, was appointed Vice-Chancellor a post he held till 30 November, 1983.
At the expiration of Olayide’s term of appointment, Professor L. Ayo Banjo who had been the Deputy Vice-Chancellor from December 1981, and Ag. Vice-Chancellor from November 1983-November 1984 was appointed substantive Vice-Chancellor from December 1, 1984. Professor Ayo Banjo has the singular distinction of being the first, and to date the only Vice–Chancellor of the University to serve for two terms, from December 1984 to November, 1991.
Professor A.B.O.O. Oyediran M.D., a former two time Head of the Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, College of Medicine and former member of Council served as Vice-Chancellor from 1 December, 1991 till 30 November, 1995. Professor O. A. Ojengbede, FMCOG (Nig.), then Provost, College of Medicine, acted as Vice-Chancellor from 1 Dec. 1995 to 24 March 1996.
Professor Omoniyi Adewoye PhD. (Colum.) of the Department of History whose appointment as Vice Chancellor commenced on 25 March 1996, served in that capacity until 25 March 2000.
During the interregnum after Professor Adewoye’s tenure‘, Professor Olufunso O. Olorunsogo, Ph.D (Ibd.) then Deputy Vice – Chancellor (Administration) was appointed Acting Vice-Chancellor from 26 March to 24 September 2000.
Prof. Ayodele O. Falase, FRCP (Lond) M.D. (Ib), former Provost, College of Medicine and Head, Department of Medicine on two previous occasions, was Vice-Chancellor from 25 September 2000- 2006.
He was succeeded by the incumbent Vice-Chancellor, Professor O.A. Bamiro, B.Sc [Notts], Ph.D [McGill]
In November 1973, the University celebrated the twenty-fifth anniversary of its foundation. One of the highlights of the celebrations was the launching of the book entitled The University of Ibadan, 1948-73: A history of the first twenty-five years. The book was commissioned by the University Council, and was edited by two distinguished Professors of African history, J.F. Ade-Ajayi and Tekena N. Tamuno, It was published by the Ibadan University Press. Contributors, who incidentally were, largely, alumni of the University, examined in considerable detail, the growth and development of Ibadan with emphasis on its pioneering role and contributions to the development of higher education in Nigeria. An Endowment Appeal Fund was launched by the then Visitor, His Excellency, General Yakubu Gowon, to mark the occasion.
The second Endowment Appeal Fund was launched in Lagos during the 1978/79 session by the former Chief-of-Staff, Supreme Headquarters, Major-General Musa Yar-Adua under the auspices of University of Ibadan Alumni Association. In 1981, “Ibadan Voice” was published by the University Press. The book which was a collaborative work of former students, teachers, administrators, professionals and technical staff of the University since its foundation as a College in 1948, was edited by Professor Tekena N. Tamuno, The various chapters portray reminiscences, recollections, thoughts, reflections and views on Ibadan. This exciting book focuses attention on the growth and development of the University of Ibadan as a social institution and as a centre of excellence in research, teaching, and learning. Ibadan, as essays in the book demonstrate, made deliberate, but necessary adjustments to match the pace and complexity of Nigeria’s development as a nation-state under civilian and military regimes.
Under the 1975-80 quinquennial plan, the University proposed new academic programmes and major capital projects. Among these was the upgrading in 1980/81, of the erstwhile Faculty of Medicine to Collegiate status, and at the instance of Council the Federal Military Government promulgated, on 25 June 1984, the College of Medicine of the University of Ibadan Statute. The College currently comprises four Faculties: Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences, Dentistry and Public Health, and the Post-graduate Institute of Medical Research and Training (PIMRAT). The Faculty of Pharmacy has since become independent and ceased to be part of the College. Also established are the following professional/academic programmes - Technology, Law, Communication and Language Arts, Banking and Finance, Business Administration, Urban and Regional Planning, Industrial and Labour Relations, Information Science, Social Work.